Friday, November 25, 2011




The colors, sights, sounds, and smells are all distinctively autumn. I am always sad for the passing of summer, yet look forward to Thanksgiving as it is my favorite holiday. When I was a young girl my dad would take us in to NYC after midnight to see the balloon inflation for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. He would wake us up and we would eagerly jump out of bed and get ready for our night on the town. Once we arrived at 79th street any residual sleepiness was abated as the parade was coming to life. The balloons were inflated and being readied for their flights, the floats were being positioned for their journey toward Herald Square. The best part of the adventure.....the were so few people. This was NYC'S best kept secret. On our way home we needed a snack and would stop at an all night ice cream shop called The Flick. I remember the dark walls, the waffles with ice cream and the feeling of Thanksgiving. Waking to the smells of the day the next afternoon, we left my mom the entire morning to prepare the feast. Dear husband and I take our kids in to see the balloons every year, I wonder how they will remember their Thanksgivings.
Foodbuzz
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment